Thursday, March 22, 2007

Stash..........

Oh boy! Lookie what I found waiting for me in my mail box today. I am so
excited! This is my order from Stitching Bits 'n Bobs that I sent in a request
for less then a month ago. I've finally gotten three of those awesome little
chart/thread sets from Little House Needleworks and Crescent Colours. I
have been yearning for these wonderful designs ever since I saw the first
one and now I can see them in person at last. The Drawn Thread chart for
Sampler Game Board is another that I've had my eye on for awhile. And
with the SAL going on at the moment for this project I just had to order it.
Finally, three Prairie Schooler designs. Autumn Leaves has been stitched
by many bloggers out there and each and every one of those projects has
been so beautiful. And Autumn is my most favourite season of all. The
other two PS charts are Nursery Rhymes I and II. I saw these stitched by
Ann at Tempus Fugit and fell in love with them too.



This order came from The Cross Stitch Cupboard which is located in
Ottawa. I placed this order in mid January and there are a couple of
specialty threads still to come. I ordered 32 count Summer Khaki and
Willow Green linen and 28 count Cashel linen in light Mocha. These and
the threads will be used for various projects. The charts are Britty Kitties IV
and two by Linda Myers featuring quilt blocks to cross stitch. I don't quilt so
this is the next best thing. The threads are from Weeks Dye Works and The
Gentle Art.

I have never used hand dyed threads before and I'm feeling a little anxious
about them. The tags say that the colours are not colourfast. Does this
mean that I should wash them before using them? If so, do I just rinse them
in cool water? Is there anything else I should know about using hand dyed
threads? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yesterday I stopped off at the little strip mall near where I live to go to the
hair dressers to get my hair chopped. It feels so nice to have it short, short,
short again. It'll be quicker for me to get ready for work in the mornings
too because I won't have to fuss with it and it'll blow dry faster. This is
especially important because DH is going away on a training course next
week. He leaves on Sunday afternoon to fly to Montreal and will return
on Wednesday. This means that I have to make my own way into work
for the first three days of next week. This entails leaving here at 6:35 to
catch the Go bus at the top of my street. Then, after numerous changes
which I won't go into here, I'll arrive at work sometime around 8:30.
I plan to still get up at 5:30, which is our usual rising time, but I'll make
my lunch at night to save some time. Feeding the cats will take up that
little extra time.

After my stop at the hair dressers I visited a little thrift shop located in the
same strip mall, which is run by the Humane Society. I struck gold!!
I collect books about the Titanic and they had this book on sale there for
$12.00. I'd had my eye on the book at the bookstore but never bought it
because it was selling for over $50.00. Wooo Hoo!! And this is in mint
condition. I love when this sort of thing happens.

I took this picture of Phoebe this afternoon while taking the pictures
of all my new stash. She's such a little sweetie.

Finished reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" today. Excellent
read but kind of sad. It's very well written and I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Look at the beautiful stash ! :) Great choices.

For the hand dyed threads, you don't wash them. They don't even recommend pre-rinsing them. When I use them, I just make extra sure my hands are clean, that I use Qsnaps to limit touching the piece, and I store my wips in a bag or pillowcase. The only "trick" to them is to complete each stitch as you go, instead of stitching just one leg of a bunch of stitches and then coming back to "Cross" each one. By completing each stitch, you can prevent an almost painted-effect with the threads. I rarely stitch in straight horizontal or vertical rows when I'm stitching with hand dyed threads - I'll angle them, or stitch in bunches or areas, - something to create the painted effect. Some of my latest finishes on my blog show a bit better what I mean.

Have fun with them ! And enjoy your new haircut. I did the same thing a week ago - what a time savings ! LOL

BeckySC said...

Enjoy your great new stash :) IT's always fun to get new stash :)

Gina E. said...

She sure is a little Sweetie!!! Just asking for cuddles!