Wednesday, August 15, 2007

More library pictures, since I don't have any stitching updates to show
at the moment. This is the third hardcover section of my fantasy/
science fiction books. Below each of these three sections shown so far
are two shelves of paperbacks in the same genres, double shelved to
fit as many in as possible. Since these pictures were taken I've done
some reshuffling and some weeding, to try and open up some space.
Unfortunately whatever space I managed to create has since been
filled up again.

These shelves hold an assortment of topics. Books on Great Britain,
but just a spillover from another section where I keep most of them.
Books on old Hollywood, and my favourite movies and movie stars.
Books on the Titanic, and shipwrecks in general, plus a few books on
the last Tsar of Russia and his family.

These next two pictures are of one bookcase. The above shows more
of my books on Great Britain, and of the movies, and also some
paperbacks, general fiction.The next section is home decor books, some of my cross stitch books,
other crafting books and on the bottom shelf my books on the Royals,
and, yes, more of Great Britain again.

Yes, we're very lucky to be able to have a room devoted to nothing
but books. When we were house hunting almost 16 years ago DH and
I had two criteria for the house we were looking for. It had to have a
garage big enough to house the "55 Buick, and it had to have a room
for the books. It took a bit of searching, but eventually we found the
house that we've been in ever since. The kitchen, bathroom and
bedrooms were just icing on the cake.

As always all pictures are clickable for closeups.

Last night was another Jam night at the pub. This time we had dinner
at home and just had drinks when we got to the pub. Finer weather
meant a few more musicians then last week, but the rest was the same
enjoyable blend of music and laughter. Highlight of this week? A
rousing rendition of the Beverly Hillbillies theme song. We were
allowed to request a song, and I asked for something by Gordon
Lightfoot. I figured they'd all know something by one of the premier
Canadian songwriters, but to our surprise they had to really dig and
search to come up with one song. And it wasn't even one of his most
popular ones. Hmmm.

Went and got my hair chopped off yesterday, which was long overdue.
I don't think DH is too impressed with the final results, and I have to
admit that it is really short. But I figured, what the heck, it'll grow.
And it's really easy to wash and dry in the mornings, which is great for
work.

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments on Blueberries. It's nice
to receive such encouragement from stitchers much more adept
then I am with needle and thread. I'm still gazing with awe at the
finish that Dani had for Noah's Ark. Holy Cats! What an accomplish-
ment that piece is. Gorgeous.

Tomorrow is our big day in the Big City. Down to Toronto to see
We Will Rock You. We'll have dinner somewhere first, and then off
to the Pantages theatre, or the Canon Theatre, or whatever the
heck they're calling it this week. It's an old theatre, which was
turned into a multiplex cinema many years ago, and then restored
to it's original grandeur when Phantom of the Opera first came
here in the 80's. Really gorgeous place.
Off to check the washing machine. Cheers all!!!

6 comments:

Stitch Wizard said...

Hi Judy

Thanks for your nice comments in my blog!! I have never really experienced a hurricane to the fullest extent. We had the tail end of Rita a couple years ago, and it was just lots of rain. I am originally from Idaho so Texas weather is always quite a different experience. We have animals, dogs, and I want to make sure they are ok with us. Hopefully we will do ok here. This one won't be that bad hopefully as we are getting the the outer edges. As for the project, I think living out on the point of the bay sounds nice. There is another neat house yet to be done that I love and it is bigger! Debby :)

Beatrice said...

Thanks you for your lovely comments on my stitching.
My Mother has always been one to say if you do it, do it the best you can, so I try to do it as well as she does.
Yes maybe all this stitching will keep us young too!!
Thanks you for her Birthday wishes.
Sounds like you are going to enjot Toronto. I saw the phantom when it was there. Loved it!!

Shannon said...

Have fun at We Will Rock You ! We had a great time :) It wasn't what I expected, but it was really quite good. And I adore that theatre, so that was an added bonus.

stitcherw said...

I so love your library, I think I could live in there. I'd set up my stitching in one corner and with the books I'd never have to come out again, just throw in some food once in a while, LOL.

The Pantages Theatre is gorgeous. I've been there twice, both times to see Phantom of the Opera when it was playing, it was awesome.

As to your question on Flower Dragons, yup, it is all DMC. I even lucked out that I got it when there was a sale and could get all the colors for 5 for $1, helped make up for the extra I spent for the fabric. :)
Sue

Dani - tkdchick said...

I hope you enjoyed your show!

Gina E. said...

Ah Judy, you are SO fortunate to be married to someone who loves books as much as you. My Ken is not a reader at all, and can't understand why I have to have so many books, when there is a perfectly good library down the road...duh...some people just don't get it!